Sunday, July 28, 2013

Thoughts on my upcoming first official marathon

      I have never run an "official" marathon since starting to run again.  I have run over a marathon distance a couple times in my long runs over the past year, but have never ran a race.   Next Saturday I'm running my first official trail marathon as a training run for my 50k training.
      I've been having a nonchalant attitude about the event.  Don't get me wrong.  I respect the distance.  Through my training I have grown the confidence to know that I can do the distance.  I also know that it won't be a cake walk.  In the past three or four weeks I have done a twenty mile run each week.  The distance never seems to get easier, but I do finish the runs with plenty of gas in the tank.
     I guess I'm just having the realization that I'm overlooking the accomplishment of my first marathon because it's a stepping stone along the way to a much bigger goal.  Part of me is thinking that the perspective I've adopted might be a little wonked. Of course, signing up for a 50k before I've proven myself at the marathon distance might be a little wonked too.
     The Eagle Creek Trail marathon isn't going to be a slouch.  It's a 6.5 out and back that you have to do 4 times.  People I know that have run it say that it's more of a mentally challenging race as opposed to a physical one.  Most of the people reiterate that it's still a marathon and the physically grueling challenge is still there.
     I suppose what I would like to accomplish is to finish the race uninjured and have fun doing it.  I just hope I don't let myself get sucked into a competitive macho-dickwad mode.  I need to be a little conservative and just keep my training pace.  This will ensure me success on the big day.  The big day that I've been almost dangerously overlooking.

No comments:

Post a Comment