Tuesday, July 8, 2014

OPSF 5050

     So a few days after my last update (the one where I mention that I don't like racing towards the end), I went and registered for a 50 mile race that's taking place in my back yard.  The Owen Putnam State Forest 5050 is a trail race here in that is set to take place on November 8th.  The course, which I've run on several times over the past several years, is on public land that is primarily horse trails.
map of the Owen Putnam State Forest horse trails

      I like running the out there mostly because it's a challenging run.  Typically about three miles into my runs there I think "why the Hell do I come out here ?!?!?"   I haven't been too successful in getting anyone out there to run with me though.  I usually don't sugar coat my sales pitch about how hard the trail is compared to other local trails.  It's a rugged trail with multiple water crossings, steep inclines and declines, the trails aren't marked very well, it's very rocky, typically very muddy, there are sticks and branches everywhere, and tons of horse shit mixed in the mud. 
     There are steep hills meant for horse riders.  I guess horses would have an easier time getting up them.  If they were designed for hikers or runners, they would have incorporated some switchbacks to get up (or down) them easier.
my shoe the last time I ran at the OPSF

     Normally I get out there in the early spring because the foliage isn't as overgrown as it gets in the early to mid summer.  My last trip resulted in many scratches and my legs covered in mud and ticks.  Now that I'm registered for the race out there, I will probably try to make it out there more than I typically do in the summer. Knowing I have this race in November makes the humid training runs seem worthwhile.  I just hope I haven't bitten off more than I can chew making this my first 50 mile race.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment