Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Morning long run in the Morgan Monroe State Forest

           I had my mid-week day off and took the low gap trail counter clockwise.  I had my first wipe out in over a hundred miles on the wooden bridge just past the North Low Gap Rd crossing.  Watch out for slick wood !!! The last step I had on the wooden bridge slipped from under my as I pushed off to get back on the trail.  Super lame !!!
        I've been heart rate training with my running since about early March.  Today my heart rate kept spiking fifteen to thirty minutes into the run which was annoying.  I lowered my max heart rate setting on my garmin down to 143 so that required some getting used to also.  I've been seeing great gains in the past few months but decided to experiment with lowering the max HR.
     I then realized that the new camel bak i've been using causes my shirt to creep up in the back when the bladder is completely full.  This is a real annoying occurrence that went away after I started to drink water throughout the run.  The shirt issue lasted for the first several miles then gradually went away.
     I ended up doing most of the low gap trail and headed north to the Tecumseh trail head by cherry lake where I got on the Three Lakes Trail until I came out on the Main Forest Rd,  I still had plenty of miles to go to get to the 16 I wanted to do.  So I backtracked the way I came and headed back down the rest of the Low Gap trail off of the Tecumseh trail.  I made it to my car way under the mileage I wanted and headed north from the parking lot to the Hardin Ridge Trail. 
      On the Hardin Ridge Trail my hips started to bother me.  I think running the same pace for the past 13 miles or so were just tiring specific muscles.  I found that increasing my pace alleviated this problem.  The only problem was that the quicker pace caused my heart rate monitor to go off.  Walking to lower my heart rate helped the aches too.  When my HR went back into the desired zone I went back into my normal pace which caused the aches to happen until I slightly boosted my pace.  For the last two miles I got into a pattern of boosted pace to max HR then walking to get through the run. 
     My run ended at 16.10 and I was glad to get through it.  I'm not concerned about the aches I experienced.  I attribute them to just chugging along for two and half hours at the same pace with little variance.  I think this is one issue that I have with heart rate training.  Today, I believe, some pace variance might have prevented those aches.  This is the first time I've had this problem though so, hopefully, it was just a fluke.  I'm just glad I found a solution to it on the fly.

No comments:

Post a Comment