Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Running recovery week means working on other things......or something

     So I just finished an "easy week" in my training.  I created a training schedule to help build a good running base (I spent the first couple months of the year recovering from an injury)  I took Memorial Day and the following day off.  Ran about three miles on Wednesday and then took Thursday and Friday off.
      Giving my legs an easy week of running means I get to do the exercises that helped me get back to running the trails.  At the beginning of the year, the owner of the business I manage gave me permission to do the exercises my physical therapist assigned me to do at work (as long as they don't interrupt my duties).  I have taken full advantage of his generous offer ever since.  When there are no customers I throw in a set of squats,lunges, planks, or pull-ups.  I'll even stand on one foot to work on my balance when showing customers jewelry.  Doing this has improved my balance and makes standing and showing rings more productive !  I have yet to have someone say anything to me as I slightly wobble while reaching into a case for another ring.  One of the cool side effects of doing these exercises at work is that I have inadvertently inspired one or two co-workers to think about and start exercising themselves. 
       Maintaining my core was one of the big pieces of advice my physical therapist told me the day I was discharged from their care.  They emphasized to focus on the quality of the exercises and not the quantity.  I have kept it up these months and have improved my strength, balance, and endurance.  It also helps that I find the "non-running" core upkeep enjoyable.
      Have these exercises made me a better runner?  I think they have.  Not in terms of speed but just in stability and strength.  Rocks and roots that used to make me trip and fall on my face have turned into upright stumbles.  My lower back doesn't get fatigued as quickly on long runs.  My hydration pack seems less of a burden as well. 
      I dwelt upon how much that injury changed my attitude towards running while writing this post.  The injury was an event that gave me something to overcome and I successfully did so (at least 99.12% recovered).  Last year I ran and ran and ran.  Never really giving my body a chance to recover from the miles I was putting on it.  My wife, who is an experienced runner, would offer advice and warnings about doing too much without any recovery time.  I didn't listen to her and, worst of all, I wasn't listening to the warning signals from my own body
      My "rookie" year as a long distance runner had it's peaks and valleys and ended in a fairly large valley.  With help, I climbed out of it and gained the knowledge and wisdom to use my resources around me. This includes listening to my body, my wife, and others who are willing to share tips, ideas, and their own wisdom.  I have begun drawing inspiration from running and  non-running sources and hopefully will be a healthier and happier runner in the years to come. 

         
     

No comments:

Post a Comment