Sunday, February 23, 2014

Injured and being a big obsessive baby about it.....or something

     I guess I only write posts when I have an injury.  I rested my foot for the last week and had no pain yesterday and when I woke this morning.  I figured I would go for a little injury recovery test run, about three miles, and see what was happening.
     There was a mild "pressure" in the area but I didn't think anything of it.  Coming back from injury has always caused a hyper-awareness of the injured area.  Today was no different.  I ran some and walked some to get my heart rate stabilized.  This was a near impossible feat for some reason.  I decided to blame the half pot of coffee I drank before deciding to go for my run.  My heart rate was way too high which made me walk to calm it down....then run when it was in a desirable level.
    This continued for the first couple of miles which was fine.  My foot felt good at times and concerning at others...nothing unusual.  Some oddness was expected.  Then just past the two and a half mile point I experienced a sharp pain in the spot.  I immediately brought the run to a walk with a wave of rage mixed with frustration and disappointment. Mostly rage.




          I walked for a couple of yards and then began at a light trot for home.  Luckily I was just running little laps around my neighborhood just in case something like this happened. 
     I made it home without any more surprise pain signals and immediately iced my foot for about twenty minutes.  Walking on it seems fine and there isn't any lingering pain.  I may have stopped in time to prevent any set backs...who knows...
     Then for the next hour or so I just took my frustrations out on lifting weights, doing core work, and body weight exercises.  I even got out the Bosu balance trainer to see if  one legged standing on my bad foot irritated it.  (I was fine and discovered that I could use some improving on my balance.) For some reason, doing something physical to focus on seems to keep my mind from obsessing about what could be wrong with my foot.  Then I decide to write a blog post and here I am obsessing about what could be wrong with my foot.  Free association symptom obsession that leads everywhere from some kind of soft tissue damage to possible stress fractures.
     My chiropractor did a stress fracture test with some kind of large tuning fork thing.  If I had a stress fracture the tiny vibrations in the spot would have been excruciatingly painful.  Luckily I passed that test.  The next day I had an x-ray and that didn't show anything either.  The next step, if things persist in the next week or so, is to get an MRI.  Hopefully it won't come to that.  Hopefully I just need some more time to heal and I can get back to it. 
     In the meantime, it seems like I will have to occupy myself with weight lifting, core work, and stretching to keep myself busy.  Unfortunately, I'm afraid I will spend the whole time obsessing over what is wrong with my foot.

No comments:

Post a Comment